DISCIPLE continues...

Monday, January 20, 2014

Blogfest: Love is in the air!

As you may know, the fourth part of my Disciple series arrives on March 1st. Disciple is a gritty fantasy romance: magic, war, low-tech surgery, and falling in love with the wrong people.

Charity's blogfest is a great chance to premiere the first sample of Disciple, Part IV!
When she discovered she was pregnant with Prince Kiefan's child, Kate had to marry. Her friend Anders volunteered, claiming it would be strictly a marriage of convenience. Over the last several months, Kate has come to question both his feelings and her own -- and worries what protective, jealous Kiefan would do...

Rafe burbled against my shoulder. I tossed a quartered log down by the hearth and lifted my son in both hands. “Good-morn, sweetling. Your fourth Saint-day, now — what shall we do this time? We’ll go to the disciple’s dance at noon. You’ll get to see everyone during the meal, I’m sure. You were everyone’s favorite last week. But what to do this morning?”

He turned his head, and it lolled to one side. Anders leaned in to kiss his chubby cheek and Rafe’s mouth gaped open. Meaning to smile, I was sure.

“Come and watch the horses,” Anders said.

“He loves the horses.” I settled him back on my shoulder. “He always kicked, when I was riding.”

“Of course he did.”

I looked up; Anders’ flaxen crest hung to one side, loose, and a smile tucked up the corner of his mouth. His hand touched my arm and he leaned closer to kiss my cheek. I turned against his scratchy stubble to kiss him back, and slipped one arm around him. A squeeze, warm and close, smelling of horses.

Love him while he’s here. My throat tightened, of a sudden. Anders’ arm loosened, but I kept my grip on him. He hugged me again, easily persuaded. And nuzzled against my temple, in place of a question.

So easy to kiss him, if I dared, to be the wife he should have. If only Kiefan had seen something in the duchesses. If only he’d sounded more glad to try —

Anders’ mouth touched mine, gently tipping my face up. My breath caught, my heart skipped a beat in fear. I pulled back, my arm around him stiffening to an arm’s length. He went still, tracking me with the calm, unruffled gaze he used on skittish fillies.

“I’ll not put you in danger,” I said. Until I knew Kiefan agreed with me.

Anders’ gentleness shifted to resolve. “I’m not afraid of him.”

I heard a door open; Will was awake. “Let him find a bride,” I got out before Will shuffled into the kitchen. He tossed out muttered greetings, rubbing his eyes.

Anders shot me a measuring glance before he cuffed his brother and started up the talk of horses. It would have to do until we had another chance to talk. Rafe gurgled against my shoulder, fussed a little. “We’ll watch the horses this morning,” I told him.

Disciple, Part IV on sale March 1st! Get a reminder!

Disciple, Part I is FREE at Amazon and Smashwords!


 Disciple Half-Omnibus on sale February 1st! 


8 comments:

Charity Bradford said...

Holy cow I need to get caught up with your story! I love how tender and tense this scene is. I think I'm scared to read though because I really liked Kiefan in the first part and he sounds like I might not like him as much now. *sigh* Gonna have to do it...

Thanks for participating in the blogfest and good luck with the next release!

Kristin Smith said...

Wow, love the tension and her conflicted emotions. She could so easily be the wife Anders deserves, and you can feel her to desire to do that if it weren't for Kiefan. Very intriguing! Might have to get hooked on the series! Thanks for sharing!

Huntress, aka CD Coffelt said...

I actually got goosebumps reading this. Anders is my fave btw. Always was. Always will be.

L. Blankenship said...

You'll always be the captain of Team Anders, Huntress. :)

Crystal Collier said...

My goodness! That's a complicated weave of trouble. Yikes! (But delicious.)

Elise Forier Edie said...

The heartache and confusion--and love--are all very present and real. Great job.

L.G. Keltner said...

There's so many feelings going on in this scene, and I want to know more! Thanks for sharing this!

Aldrea Alien said...

Excellent!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...