DISCIPLE continues...

Thursday, July 25, 2013

Blogger Book Fair: LYON'S LEGACY by Sandra Ulbrich Almazan

Welcome to Lyon's Legacy by Sandra Ulbrich Almazan! We wanted to write a character interview, for this post, and thought it would be fun if our characters had a chance to interview each other. So my flirty, bad-boy knight, Anders, met her quiet, reserved scientist, Joanna, at her laboratory for a chat...

After brief introductions, Joanna asks what it means to be "Blessed by Saint Woden."

Anders: Saint Woden saw the makings of a knight in me, on my Blessing-day, and gave me a knight's gifts: anticipation, to know where the enemy's sword will go, and speed to beat him there. As I'm of Woden's bloodline, there was little surprise that he took me for a disciple. (tips his head, considering Joanna) You know what it means for your blood to be the bridle they fit you with, it would seem? How have you fought the bit?

Joanna: (consults her handheld to figure out what a bridle and bit are.) I refused to become a musician the way my uncle wanted me to. Instead, I studied science. If you weren't a knight, what would you rather be?

Anders: What else is there to be, aside from what the saints ask? They defend their disciples, and in turn we defend them. It's true I've wished I could ride to some small barony and take post as a simple garrison knight --  (drifts a bit closer, curious about the vat-grown kidney on the workbench beside her.) You're a physician? Of some sort. (a smile) What does that require of you?

Joanna: (sighs) It requires more education and credits than I have. But I will get my doctorate, no matter how long it takes. What's your biggest accomplishment so far, and what do you want to do with your life?

Anders: (adding a twist to his smile) I'm the first to win the jousting tournament for three years running, and then... (his smile fades down to a pinched mouth) No, not that. I married. Better than I had any business to. It made my mother happy, and it (a determined frown) proved her husband wrong about me. I mean to prove them all wrong. I'll do right by Kate, and be a good father to her baby. What would you prove yours wrong about?

Joanna: My uncle thinks I'm meant to be a great musician because my great-grandfather was one, but I hate performing. Why would people think you can't be a good husband and father?

Anders: They see only what they wish -- the king's bastard, whose existence torments the poor queen, who fucks every girl to cross his path -- (turns away, angry, but offers Joanna a polite bow) Your pardon, m'lady. It's little to do with you. Or me, in truth. (he pauses for a moment) You've no love of music, then? This quiet life is what you wish? (he looks around the lab, the softly whirring machines) Where do you find your... pleasures?

Joanna: I don't care about f-bombs; I drop them all the time myself. But pleasures? Fun? (returns to work for a few minutes) I visit my sick mother every two weeks, but that's hardly a barrel of laughs. And my last boyfriend--how long ago was that?--he only wanted me for one thing....

Anders: (leans against the bench again, within arm's reach of Joanna, and gives her a moment to finish but she doesn't) Whereas you would be wanted for your wisdom, for your skills. What manner of drink would you meet a friend for? If your... (with a glance at the organs in their vats) odd pets give you leave to go.

Joanna: Well, Anders, it's not every day I get to chat with a knight in shining armor, but my handheld's telling me my supervisor is headed this way, and I don't think she'd appreciate having you here. Take care of that family of yours. (sigh) And maybe someday I'll meet my knight in a nice white lab coat.

Anders lingers for a moment, frowning as he puzzles through the odd brush-off, but then heads off to see if the supervisor would be interested in a drink...

Lyon's Legacy back cover
Sometimes being a geneticist isn’t enough to understand your family....

When Joanna Lyon, a scientist in training, learns her rich uncle plans to have their rock legend ancestor, Sean Lyon, cloned, she’s disgusted. Uncle Jack pushed her into music when she was younger, and she hated it. So it’s particularly galling that he wants her to travel through a wormhole to an alternate universe and sample Sean’s DNA. She only agrees to go so she can secretly sabotage the project. But meeting Sean forces her to re-examine her feelings about her family, including her estranged father. Can she protect the unborn clone from her uncle, and will she have to sacrifice her career and new-found love to do so?

Available as an ebook from Amazon, B&N, and Smashwords; in paperback from Createspace and Amazon; and as an audiobook from Amazon.
Sandra Ulbrich Almazan can be found online at her website, blog, Twitter, Facebook, and Goodreads.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...