DISCIPLE continues...

Saturday, December 29, 2012

Next Big Thing, Part II

Disciple, Part II is my Next Big Thing!

What is the working title of your book?
As you know (Bob): Disciple, Part II. Subtitled, "Claims Laid." Subtitled: "Winter's Fools."

Where did the idea come from for the book?
As a continuation of Kate's story, Part II was driven by thoughts on how teenagers wrestle with both adult responsibilities and their hormones... and the idea of "you can't always get what you want" that was so well expressed by the Rolling Stones.

What genre does your book fall under?
Hard fantasy romance, heavier on the "romance" in Part II. Part III will be heavier on the "hard." :)

Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?
I named some actors for the three main characters in the meme post for Part I... in Part II, we meet the three saints who rule Wodenberg. So let me cast them:


Chris Hemsworth. Angry Thor: perfect.
Saint Woden: He's the saint of war that I named this fantasy universe after: Saints of War. When I saw Chris Hemsworth in Thor, he was very close to how I picture Woden -- the saint being a little older, angrier, and uncompromising. Woden doesn't need to compromise, you see, he's powerful, he's dedicated to his people, and he's right.

Well, mostly. 

Abrahan Benrubi
Saint Aleksandr: He's a crafter saint and a shape-shifter, the kind of rock-solid guy you would always want at your back. Aleks doesn't take the lead because he knows Woden is better suited to it, and he knows his advice and tempering influence are much needed. Fortunately, Woden knows this too.

I never had a solid portrait for Aleks, I'm sorry to say, other than that he's a big, teddy-bear type of guy. I kept Abraham Benrubi as a reference photo while I was writing, but if I were casting this for real I would love for this to be a chance for a big guy to strut his stuff in a serious role.  

Assad Bouab
Saint Qadeem: When I sketched out the three saints of Wodenberg, I wrote down: saint of war, saint of craft, and saint of nerds. I wanted one of them to be a clear outsider, but just as vital to the kingdom as the two native-grown saints. Yes, Qadeem was inspired by classical-era Arabic scholars -- the ones who kept science and philosophy alive after the collapse of Rome. As with Saint Aleks, I would love for Saint Qadeem to be a great acting part for a talent pool that gets unfairly overlooked: men of Middle Eastern descent.

Edit: Sometimes you're just going about your business and something smacks you right in the face. This is a still I pulled from the short film Noon. The credits tell me this is Billy Khoury -->

That is exactly the wary, analytic look -- and the hair, the beard, good Lord he's perfect. Now if only I had several dozen million dollars to make a movie...


What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?
Kate worked hard to master her healing magic to serve in the front lines of the coming war, but now she must choose between love and duty.

Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?
It will be self-published -- Part I is available at all the major online retailers. Part II will go on sale April 1st.

How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?
According to my notes, 39 days. November 15 to Christmas Eve, 2011.

What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?
Yeah, I still don't have an answer for this. Serious war, serious romance, hard fantasy. I'm not going to compare myself to GRRM, but if anyone knows another novel with the same parameters, I'd love to read it.

Who or What inspired you to write this book?
I wrote Disciple because I needed to. I don't really deal in inspiration.

What else about your book might pique the reader's interest?
Disciple is a six part story, and all six parts have been written. This series is not going to vanish halfway through.

Disciple, Part II arrives April 1st, 2013!
Pre-order Part II, or pick up a bundle of both parts, at Kickstarter from January 1st - 31st!
Blog tour starts here January 2nd with the No Kiss Blogfest and runs through the 31st.
Watch for three character interviews with collectible portrait wallpapers... and the soundtrack... 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...