DISCIPLE continues...

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

The Next Big Thing blog hop

Welcome to the blog hop! My friends at Unicorn Bell are tackling the Next Big Thing meme today. Check out their entries too: Marcy, Charity, Alicia, and Huntress.

What is the working title of your book?
Its final title is: Disciple, Part I. Its working title was "For Want of a Piglet," but it turns out that's just the name of this one part. The other five parts have their own names.

Where did the idea come from for the book?
To be totally honest, the core idea for the romance part of Disciple came from Titanic. Somebody I knew claimed that the socio-economic dynamic between Rose and Jack, if inverted, would ruin the romance. Naturally, my brain grabbed that and ran with it.

What genre does your book fall under?
It's a gritty fantasy romance. If I had to choose only one, I would call it a fantasy. Possibly epic, depending on the definition of "epic" that you're using. Trying to categorize fantasy can lead to madness, though...

Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?
Kate: There's a new crop of young actresses every five years or so, and I can't possibly keep them all straight... but I would want a classic girl-next-door blonde to portray my main character, Kate. Somebody such as Kristy Lee Cook or Elisha Cuthbert, perhaps.
Kristy Lee Cook
Kiefan: Hopefully, we could find a fresh young hunk who can combine the lean, angry look of Jonathan Rhys-Meyers from his Titus and Gormenghast days with the build of a teenaged Chris Hemsworth.
I take it back --
Rhys-Myers still looks
lean & angry
Anders: He's easy; you just need a 20-year-old Alex Skarsgard. Must be able to snark in all situations.
Alex Skarsgard
What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?
Kate needs all her magic to get her companions home alive from the mission -- even that sour crown prince.

Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?
It will be self-published -- and it just went up on Monday! Take your pick of an ebook at Amazon (for Kindle) or a paperback at Createspace! Next up: Barnes & Noble, Kobo, Apple, etc.

How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?
It took approximately 30 days, but that was complicated by my computer dying toward the end. Thankfully, the manuscript survived. The world-building and character development, though... that took years. Since Titanic was in the theaters, basically.

What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?
... I'm going to have to ask my readers for comparisons. Comparing myself to famous books seems so presumptuous.

Who or What inspired you to write this book?
I wrote Disciple because I needed to. I don't really deal in inspiration.

What else about your book might pique the reader's interest?
There are six parts in total, but don't worry about whether I'll finish it or fall off the face of the earth. Part II through Part V are already done and in various drafting stages. Part VI's first draft is in progress.

Thanks for dropping by!

3 comments:

mshatch said...

Yeah, I have a book (trilogy) like that - except I'm only half way thru book 2. It's on a shelf right now but it's the shelf slated for revival :)

Good luck with this!

Michael Offutt, Tebow Cult Initiate said...

Damn...Eric Northman. I love my True Blood. He's yummy.

Charity Bradford said...

I can't wait to read it! I think I'll have to go buy it when I get home. ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...